Managing Gum Disease with Your Oviedo, FL, Dentist
If you have gum disease, schedule an appointment today with Dr. Amit Kamat.
You might have been well educated on dental health. Nonetheless, you may have developed bad habits. This is not uncommon, and you cannot reverse the past. You can take steps now to manage gum disease if you have it.
How do you know that you might have gingivitis? If your gums bleed each time you brush, you could have gum disease. If your gums are in pain, swollen, and red, you should be concerned. Periodontal treatment is crucial to the state of your health. At Innovative Dental and Orthodontics, we are happy to help you manage gum disease.
Why Choose Dr. Amit Kamat?
- One of Only 1% of Dentists with this Specialist Qualification
- 3 Years Advanced Speciality Training in
● Dental Implants
● Full Mouth Rehabilitation
Dr. Amit Kamat, Prosthodontist and Dr. Sejal Kamat, Orthodontist, are a Unique Team of Specialists Working Together to Provide Treatment Solutions Tailored to Your Needs.
What are Gingivitis and Periodontitis?
Gum disease is manifested in two forms:
- Gingivitis When gum disease is in its earliest stage, it is called gingivitis. During this period, the disease is characterized by inflammation. You can also experience bleeding of the gums, but not bone loss. The bleeding and inflammation are the results of plaque buildup.
- PeriodontitisIn the next stage, called periodontitis, the supporting fibers and bone are damaged. This leads to bone loss and tissue damage.
Periodontitis affects about half of U.S. adults over 30. It develops in individuals with gingivitis caused by gum line bacteria. Your gums can manifest pockets below the gum line.
When it goes untreated, plaque can form dental calculus. Calculus must be entirely removed to treat gum disease. Proper office and home care can generally prevent additional damage. If the issue is untreated, the supporting bone may be destroyed. This will cause your teeth to become loose and to shift.
Treating Gum Disease
Our dental office utilizes these technologies and services in the treatment of gum disease:
- COMPUTERIZED CHARTINGOur computer technology enables us to measure the infected areas and the healthy areas. We will compare these measurements at each appointment. We will also give you a graphic printout. This helps us to continue treatment and to help you care for your gums.
- CAVITRON ULTRASONIC INSTRUMENTATIONWe have modern ultrasonic equipment available. This equipment removes plaque buildup comfortably and quickly.
- SOFT TISSUE THERAPYOur periodontal professionals are trained to remove bacteria, plaque, and tartar deposits. If these are not removed, they will colonize the tooth roots. This procedure is integral to combating periodontal disease.
- PERIO PROTECT®This is a comprehensive practice that is customized for each patient. This method helps help manage communities of bacteria. The bacterial communities will otherwise continue to grow in gum pockets and between teeth. The goal is to manage the bacteria in a minimally invasive way.
- CAVI-JETAlong with traditional buffing and polishing, we apply an air polishing system to eliminate dental stains.
Preventing Gum Disease
Proper oral hygiene is crucial to preventing gum disease. Daily brushing and flossing keep bacteria from invading the teeth and gums. In addition to practicing good oral hygiene at home, dental visits are necessary. You must get regular exams and cleanings to keep your mouth in good health.
Make sure that you talk to your dentist about proper oral hygiene habits. If you do not know how to brush or floss correctly, don’t be afraid to ask us. We want you to enjoy the best possible dental health. If your oral health declines, we will help you manage the problem.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment with our office to examine the health of your mouth.